Saturday, May 13, 2017

Post Spartan Beast: What I learned.



Now that I am a week out from my Spartan Beast I am going to look back and see what I learned from the race.

The first thing I will say if you want to know my opinion of the race check out my Review

With this race I learned that I tend to lead with my right leg.  As my right Hip Flexor was burning at anything after mile 8 or 9 I feel like I need to do more yoga and hills.  I might need to increase my strength workouts with my Abdominal and Quads in order to prevent that from happening again with my Super.



My grip strength seemed to be good as I progressed substantially over my last race.  Last years races in August and November I failed the same obstacles both of those races.  What I failed was the Z-Wall, Multi-Rig and Rope Climb in August and then in November I failed Z-Wall, Multi-Rig, Olympus, Spear Throw and Rope Climb.  The majority of my failed obstacles were grip strength oriented.  As my review I only failed on the Rope Climb for the Beast, but I think I was impatient and or needed to work on my grip endurance as I felt like I might have been failing.  Working on my dead hangs should improve my grip endurance as it seemed like my only weakness so far.



In the end I feel that my training was spot on.  My running plan had my cardio in great position.  The hills that I run had my calves in great shape to deal with all the up hill running.  The weight training that I am doing seemed to have me strong enough to do the heavy lifts and carries with very little effort.  Even the bouldering I am doing once or twice a week seemed to make the hanging obstacles seem easy.

In the end just a little adjustment here and there and I should be solid to go burpee free for the next few races.



No comments:

Post a Comment