Saturday, April 1, 2017

Beyond General Fitness: Running: Run / Walk Combo Test 1

I was doing some research on running for my next blog post when I came across an article at Runners World.  After reading both that article and the one linked at the bottom of that article I thought that I would give it a try.

I feel that this is a great test for an average runner who is attempting to going farther then ever before.  As I was not a runner to start I have never ran 9 miles before in my life.  I also know how I felt after the 7 mile and the two 8 mile runs that I had already done.  I felt completely wasted and drained for the rest of the day on both occasions.  So I expected as much after my 9 miles.

I didn't go to the extent of the writer of the article that I posted above as stopping every mile seemed excessive and I don't really feel warmed up and in the groove until after my first mile.  So I didn't stop to walk until I had passed the 2 mile mark.  I walked for approximately 60 seconds and I say approximately because I just looked at the clock time on my watch and walked until a minute went by.  After walking I felt fairly rejuvenated and powered up the large hill that I run when I do my three mile loop.  I then stopped at mile three to do one of my rotations.

Then I didn't walk again until mile 5.  I was at a different location this time and ended up walking down hill instead of up hill.  It again just gave me a recharged feeling and I was able to power through the hills again.  I didn't stop until I did my second rotation just after mile 6.

On my final loop I ended up stopping just before mile 7 and again at 8 miles as my legs were burning and my left big toe was hurting.  I had made the mistake of clipping that nail a little short at the beginning of the week and it was feeling better until this run.  In the end though I finished 9 miles feeling really good.  Good enough to do my finial rotation.  I also had nutrition after every rotation and never once felt queasy or had any stomach problems. 



As you can see from my splits you can't really tell when I truly walked.  Someone could speculate it was at mile 3, 6 and 8, but in the end it wasn't those miles at all.

I think this is a great way to train and to keep from getting overly exhausted.  I felt great for most of the day and even was able to play with my kids most of the day.  I didn't hit a wall of exhaustion until my son went for a 3:00 nap.  I was able to close my eyes a bit then.

I will be sure to try this again on my next run.

Plug for my Affiliates Mud Gear get 5% off with AVERAGEJOE at https://mudgear.com/collections/discount-eligible
Also Rock Tape for KT needs at https://shop.rocktape.com/?rfsn=537256.6bbe1

No comments:

Post a Comment