Monday, February 13, 2017

Average Joe Story Part 6: Final Goal and The Extra Credit

What started in February 2015 with a long reaching goal I found that in August 2015 I was at my goal.  I was under two hundred pounds and in need of a new goal.  I knew that without that end goal I would never be able to keep the weight off.  So I thought of an extra credit goal weight and I thought I had lost forty pounds what was a few more.

I use to wrestle in high school at the one hundred eighty nine weight class.  I only was under one ninety during wrestling season.  So that was my new goal get under one hundred and ninety pounds, but that goal was only ten pounds away.  I needed another long term goal. 

I always loved sports, but after shattering my ankle in high school sports seemed like they would never come again.  I had seen an old high school fried also named Joe do an event called Spartan Race and other do an event called Tough Mudder.  So I started to research this thing I had never heard of, but looked interesting called OCR (Obstacle Coarse Racing).  My daughter and I are avid watchers of the American Ninja Warrior, but those obstacles always seemed so far above and beyond my abilities even in my youth and height of my athletics. 

After much research I found that Spartan Race seemed like the event for me and they even had one coming to my home city of Portland Oregon.  I had missed the 2015 race, but the 2016 race was far enough away that I could finish losing my weight and get trained up for it.  So I altered my workout routine and had my new goal.

I lost down to one hundred and eighty five pounds by December 2015 and started to just eat maintenance calories.  The obstacles in the coming race was rather upper body focused and so I dusted off another old work out DVD set I had called p90x from you can guess https://www.beachbody.com/.  I went out and bought a set of dumbbells and started training my upper body for the obstacles. 

I was doing what is called body recomposition.  I was attempting to continue to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.  All the while staying the same weight.  It is a long process, but I had a long term goal in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment